Friday, February 20, 2009

DOCTOR #6

June 25th was my brain MRI. Side note: I never thought I was claustrophobic before but when they slid me in that tube, I couldn't think straight.They pulled me out and gave me a minute. Talk about sucking it up. In the end, I closed my eyes and tried to go to my happy place. Interesting enough, I imagined making jewelry again that I hadn't done in years. The whole creative thinking was putting me in my happy place. It's odd what you think of under duress. They also blasted Toby Keith on my headphones. Brilliant. All was well and on June 28th, 2007, I had my appointment with Dr. Rau, the Neurologist. It went very well. He was very thorough and didn't seem to find me crazy at all. He did act a little shocked when my mother asked him about Sarcoidosis. He wouldn't really address it. I would later learn that he's the kind of doctor that would gather all the information before forming 'what if's'. I like that about him now. And although he didn't tell me then, he recommended to Quackadoodle #5, a spinal tap, a gallium scan and a bronchial biopsy. All which are standard tests for Sarcoidosis. Even I could google that. At the time, I didn't know how important those tests would have been. His exam revealed nothing other than my gait was off and the MRI results were negative. There was not much he could do for me. He was insistent that I see his recommended Opthamologist which later on I would be forever grateful. An Opthamologist can give more acute care than an Optometrist. I learn something new everyday. She was to see me as soon as I left his office. He also referred me to the one Pulmonologist on the island. Why not, I was 4 for 6 and feeling lucky. Being a little naive, I thought I would not see Dr. Rau again, but I would soon learn that I underestimated what was happening to me...

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the MRI Machine.....I HATE THEM.

    I NOW demand an Open MRI....although THEY give me the Heebie-Geebies as well, it is a whole lot better then the Closed MRI Machines.....YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to the MRI reaction. I have had about a dozen probably more in last 4 1/2 years. I was diagnosed with 2 brain tumors in Nov 2004. One if left frontal lobe (xtill there) and the 2nd one compressing the brain stem. I had been told for 2 yrs by quackadoodles last my vertigo spells were either imagined or inner ear disorder. Having a seizure that left right side of face numb finally woke them up. Had an MRI and was in surgery within the week to remove brain stem tumor. Se, says I was within 30 days of death how lovely. I now am blessed with MRI's every 6 months. Such a Joy! but they are watching 2nd tumor for any marked increase in growth. so far its very slow growing so no surgery for a few more years at least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOPs Alyssa that prior post was mine also. This is Lisa Hodges aka Aunt Lisa when I comment on neices blog.

    ReplyDelete