Saturday, February 21, 2009

SARCOID MONTH 1

Well, that was month 1 of my Sarcoid journey. Let's break it down. 7 doctors. 5 of them intelligent, caring and inquisitive. 2 of them Quackadoodles. Pretty good odds if you ask me. I also have to say that although it was frustrating not having an official diagnosis, I was grateful they were at least trying to nail it down. I had read personal post stories on Sarc sites and knew that some people weren't diagnosed or treated properly for years allowing the progression of their disease. So, all in all, they started treatment very quickly and started to get the inflammation under control. That doesn't mean I felt any better, I didn't, but the test results were showing improvement and that was good enough for me. I realized though in the following month, there was a downside to being put on Prednisone so fast at such a high dose. When Quackadoodle #5 finally got off his ass and ordered diagnostic tests to determine if there were any viable biopsy spots, the inflammation in my organs had started to subside. Trying to biopsy something would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It just wasn't warranted. At the time, the research I read said Sarcoidosis could only be diagnosed by a confirmed biopsy of Granulomas. I didn't have that, however, they now are saying that a reasonable conclusion of Sarcoidosis can be made if all the test results, signs and symptoms are of Sarcoid, ruling out all other causes. That was the 'sort of' in my first post. Coming up in month 2 will be more docs and more tests. Mahalo to all for reading this blog. Any comments or questions are encouraged.

2 comments:

  1. OH I love your blogs so far....really well written, I feel like I was there with you on your journey. I was diagnosed with Sarc in March of 2002, but it took alot to get there as well. Look forward to get reading your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Melissa....I am Loving your Blog thus far, and I am sure it will get even more interesting as time goes by.




    Naimah

    ReplyDelete